Monday, December 19, 2011

Coming up for Breath and Loving It

Well, the semester's over. The papers are filed away for later reference, the books are now officially added to the library, my hand has finally stopped cramping up from typing notes and making notes, there's a slight scent of cinnamon and sugar and marshmallow (wait, that's sugar isn't it?) and conifer in the air. Christmas time! My favorite for many, many, many reasons.
Number one, we get to celebrate the birth of our Lord, Jesus! The story will always amaze me, it's just, well, there aren't any accurate words to describe it (I mean I'm sure there are but I can't think of them, they apparently don't exist in my vocabulary, maybe should take up reading the dictionary), it's just the best story, real life story, every in the history of stories.
Second, the sights, the sounds, the cheeriness, the sweetness, the colors, the shiny things (we all know I like shiny things), the mad rush (OK, that part I'm not so crazy about and I never really really experienced crazy shopping until I got here!), the 'Merry Christmas' even the 'Happy Holidays' are just wonderful.
Third, the start of the Christmas season means that several things are coming: Spiced Tea *yum*, Trash (I'll explain later, maybe then I might forget, we'll see), CANDY (not the best for you but all the best stuff is out at Christmas) and a super delicious meal. Oh also, sleeping late, one of my personal favorites.
Number four: I have a wonderful things, a rare things that only comes about a few times a year now called "leisure time". It's a brilliant thing, this "leisure time" I can read, FOR FUN, I can do crosswords or sudoku, or color or do crafts or watch movies. There are no deadlines, no notes, no paper writing or critical thinking (thank goodness!). There's 'ahhh' and I find that I'm much calmer person, not so many headaches or breakouts. It's really a wonderful thing and I appreciate it so much.
 Number five, all the great television programs and all the great music that comes around this time of year. Let's name a few, shall we? "White Christmas," "A Christmas Carol (1938)," "Rudolph," "Frosty the Snowman," "Holiday Inn". And the music, oh my, the music. It's just great, I wish it were appropriate to listen to it all year long but some of them aren't. Plus, I'm not a big fan of Christmas music until after Thanksgiving. I mean I'm all for singing about the birth of our Lord, chestnuts, snow, trees and stuff but can we please eat the turkey first?
Yep, Christmas time, it's wonderful. Although it's always a busy time, buying gifts, trying to figure out what to buy for everyone, what to make, what type of decorations will be on the tree (I have my standard issue pink, silver, and white of course); it's also a time to breath. A time to slow down, even it's ever so slightly and reflect and actually smell the roses (or the spruce). It's nice, relaxed, sleepy days of taking in what you have and where you been the last 12 months. It allows you to really go "Oh wow, all of that happened in that short amount of time" or "Wow, it's really nice to just sit here and do nothing" or even "Gosh, I'm so glad that the Lord was sent for us and that He was born of a virgin in a stable and that He rules today." A time to enjoy family and friends. A time to enjoy the beauty that is the season.
I love it, I really, really do. I've always been so excited about Christmas (mostly because on the inside, I'm still a kid) and each year I think I get more excited. It's just, so much goodness. So take some time and enjoy that. Go see some lights, drink some hot chocolate or spiced tea (even if it's 70 degrees out!) and sing some carols. Tell someone to have a good holiday and go love on your family.
Merry Christmas everyone and may your season be blessed!
peace, love, flowers & grace
CA

No comments:

Post a Comment