Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Lent: An Experience

Well, Lenten season is over and I'm proud to say (though, should I be proud? Hmm...) that I completed Lent! I am not Catholic but I have done Lent in the past. It is a special time when there is fasting from certain foods, items, activities or anything you choose in order to reflect on the time leading up to the death and Resurrection of Jesus and to help bring individuals in closer relationship with the Lord. I've done it in the past but I must admit, I haven't taken it very seriously. However, my view of Lent has changed greatly because I currently live in a heavily Catholic city. Also Catholicism is a faith view that I've had the most contact with and am most familiar with outside of my own beliefs as a Baptist. Though, let me be clear I love Jesus above anything and am sometimes uncomfortable with having to put an even more specific label on my faith but I have investigated other views in the past and for me Baptist rings the truest to what is in the Bible, you may disagree with me and that's fine, as long as you love the Lord and desire to know Him more I'm not going to argue with you about it. ANYWAY, Catholicism is a denomination I not only encounter regularly, very nearly daily, it is also a view that I've encountered while abroad. While in Poland I encountered many who  identified themselves as being Catholic so it has helped to know some important information about it.
Lent has been part of this important information. As mentioned earlier, I've participated in the past but this year I wanted to take it seriously. I was going to go all the way and have a determination to learn and lean more on the Lord during this fasting season. I chose to give up three things for Lent, which is by all admission, quite ambitious. I chose the three things I did because they were things that I though I really genuinely needed or I used them to run away from the day. The biggest thing I have up during this year was Facebook. Yep, I did it, 46 days total without it. I have to say some days it was difficult not to go and sneek a peak at what was going on in everyone else lives or just to provide a break from school work but I stood strong. I resisted. I didn't even go the site on the days when 'cheating' is allowed! I have to admit right here and now, I really didn't miss it. I am aware that there are people who use Facebook to make sure I'm still alive and going here in NOLA and that's cool but to be honest, I would rather write you a letter. I would rather you write me a letter! I'm old fashioned like that I guess but if Facebook is preferred way to keep up with me, its cool. I didn't miss seeing the post that would cause anger in me. Believe or not that does happen. It makes me so upset to see people get so upset or concerned about things that really don't matter. I will admit that I am just guility of posting things that relate to this subject and I'm really trying to get better about it. Also, Facebook was becoming a tool for disgust with myself but now is not the time for that discussion. It was nice not going on to the site and scrolling down filling my brain with useless mess, and rolling my eyes at some of the post. Most of you don't make me do that and few that have, you've probably been removed from my news feed, sorry.
It was eye opening to realize how much a website impacts life. The studies are beginning to come out related to social media and their impact on our lives. The things we see on these sites are affecting our attitudes and perceptions of almost everything. Social media can have deep emotional impact, as has been seen with cyber bullying and cyber stalking (which admit it, we are all guilty of this on some level, shame on us all!). The things you post impact someone else, possibly deeper than you imagined. That blows my mind! If you complain on Facebook or Twitter people see it and they will probably know exactly what you're talking about even if you think you are being vague. Why do we do this? Why has social media become our personal journals and soap boxes? These things are NOT private, they are not hidden. That has been one of the biggest take away for me from this season of life. I don't need it. I don't need or even really want to keep up with all of your business but if you're having a tough time and post about it, I will say a little prayer for you, I promise. I ask that you do the same for me.
I have to be honest, I didn't want to come back to Facebook. I would love to delete the thing all together but it has become the way to easily communicate in mass message and in private messages in many cases. I will and am back but I will selective of what I post from now on (also on my twitter) and I will take breaks from it more often. It provided a detox I didn't even know I needed.
Speaking of detox, a second thing I gave up for Lent was carbonated beverages. This, oh friends, was a tough one. The first two weeks were difficult, I wanted the coldest, bubbliest Coke Zero man could find but eventually the cravings and desire for that left. I have been carbonated beverage free for the entire time of Lent and am going to try to continue to be that way. Coke Zero is so good but the reality of it, they are terrible for you and I'm really, really really trying to do better so I'm going to try to give them up totally. We shall see how it goes. I know it may seem silly to think that Coke Zero and Facebook can be such big distractions faith wise but they are. I really did have to take a minute to breath and listen in those times when I wanted to numb my mind or in a sort of round about way, drink the issues away. I learned so much from this experience. I have, once again, discovered the value of that special time being set aside to just listen and mediate on the Word. I've realized that there are many things that take my focus away and right now I just really want to refocus and recenter. That's something we all need every once in a while. It's important to rest and take time away from the distractions and make sure you are looking in the right place for answers and for the long term. Finding that center and that refreshment can bring new perspective and help you to realize that maybe some things need to go or to change.
So, while the official Lenten season is over, I encourage you to think about the things that cause major distraction in your own life and take time to find refreshment, to get re-centered and refocused. You may be surprised, like I was at what is causing you to put your vision on things that aren't as important and take away from valuable time with the Maker and with the one who wants you to focus on things above and on Him. Happy Easter and nice to see you again!
peace, love, flowers, & grace
CA

No comments:

Post a Comment